Dr Jason Free
Dr Jason Free, MBBS BVSc (HONS) FRACS
Laparoscopic, General, Weight Loss, & Hepatobiliary Surgeon
Jason Free is a General Surgeon who has specialised in Weight Loss (Bariatric) surgery and Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Surgery.
Dr Free has obtained specific weight loss surgical training in Australia and overseas, dealing specifically with revisional bariatric surgery. This means treating patients with insufficient weight loss following other procedures or complications with prior weight loss procedures. As part of this training he has spent time in surgical weight loss centres in Australia and overseas at the University medical centre of Vienna, as well as University College Hospital London, and Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth UK.
He trained as part of the accredited fellowship training program in the Obesity Surgical Society of Australia & New Zealand of which he is a member.
Dr Free has also trained heavily in Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary surgery and has spent 2 years full time as a surgeon in units specialising in pancreatic and liver cancer surgery. He has trained as part of the Australian & New Zealand Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association's training program. His interest over the last two years has involved advancement of skills in laparoscopic (keyhole) liver surgery which can be performed in the majority of patients requiring liver surgery.
Meet Dr Free:
- University of Queensland - MBBS 2003
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS) 2010.
- Bariatric Surgery Fellow, Royal Brisbane Hospital 2013.
- Hepatopancreaticobiliary Surgery Fellow, Royal North Shore Hospital Sydney 2012, Royal Brisbane Hospital 2013.
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand OSSANZ
- American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- International Hepatopancreatobiliary Association
- Australian & New Zealand Hepatopancreatobiliary Association
- Australian & New Zealand Gastro Oesophageal Surgical Association
- International Bariatric Club
- Sydney Upper Gastrointestinal Surgical Society
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Advances In Surgery; International Surgical Channel member
- Gold Coast Medical Association
- Australian Medical Association
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Society Australia (GESA) Conjoint recognition in Endoscopy & Colonoscopy
- Gold Coast University Hospital
- Pindara Private Hospital
- Gold Coast Private Hospital
- Gold Coast Medical Association; Executive Committee; Specialist Representative
- Southport Surf Life Saving Club; Junior Activities Committee, Admissions Officer
- Surf Life Saving Queensland; Medical Liaison Officer; South Coast Branch
Recent research, publications & presentations
Annual Scientific Congress, Perth WA. “Acute Management of Leaks & Salvage Surgery after Sleeve Gastrectomy”
Obesity Surgical Society of Australia & New Zealand fellowship training day.
“Management of Intraoperative Problems with Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy”
Gold Coast Medical Association, Annual Conference.
“Obesity as a Disease – Worldwide Update and Future Trends in Weight Loss Surgery”
Facilitator, trainer & lecturer at Advanced Bariatric & Roux-en-Y Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery course - University of Western Australia CTEC – Clinical Training & Evaluation Centre.
“Gastric Bypass – How I Do It”
“Intraoperative Challenges Gastric Bypass”
“Gastric Bypass as Salvage Surgery to Sleeve Gastrectomy complications”
“Post-operative Management of Gastric Bypass patients”
- Auckland NZ, 3rd Bledisloe Bariatric Symposium - Invited Speaker; Gastric bypass as a salvage to sleeve gastrectomy complications.
- Facilitator, trainer & lecturer at Advanced Bariatric & Roux-en-Y Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery course - University of Western Australia CTEC – Clinical Training & Evaluation Centre
“Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass upfront or delayed following failed laparoscopic adjustable gastric band”
“Post-operative management of gastric bypass patients”
- Victorian Bariatric Interest Group - Invited Speaker: Managing the complicated band - revisional bypass experience.
- Qld Bariatric local data meeting - Invited Speaker; Sleeve gastrectomy conversion to gastric bypass in the acute settting.
Obesity Surgical Society Australia & New Zealand presentations
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass upfront or delayed following failed laparoscopic adjustable gastric band
- Fixed ring on the gastric bypass pouch: A technique when converting failed LAGB to RYGB
- Sleeve to Bypass Early outcomes & technical considerations for conversion of sleeve gastrectomy to gastric bypass
- Video presentations
- Laparoscopic Common Bile Duct Exploration course facilitator – Sydney - Royal North Shore Hospital Surgical Training Facility